Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Sore Losers!

Wow...I can hardly believe all of the fall out from the Machida/Rua bout on UFC 104 this past weekend. I mean, I watched it, I saw it from start to finish, and never did I think that Machida was for sure gonna lose that fight. Granted, it was close, but I knew that Rua just didn't beat the champ. For one, the only aggressive moves that came from Rua were muay thai kicks and a couple of attempted take downs. Yes, those kicks hurt, anyone could see that based on the bruises on Machida's thigh's and the grimaces on his face afterwards. But hurting someone and winning a fight are two different things. Look, I am a novice at MMA and a chick as well, but even I could see that Rua was barely landing any attempted strikes. Almost every time he kicked Machida, he got a love tap in the face for kicking him. Points to Machida! Machida has a 65% positive strike average and that was evident during the fight. Yes, Rua gave him a hard time and even his first round losses ever, but Rua did not beat the champ, plain and simple. And in the end, the judges saw what I saw. Yep, little 'ol me. While a lot of crusty MMA fans are crying over Rua's loss---saying "foul" just because Rua happened to kick Machida a few times and tried a couple of unsuccessful take downs---I'm seeing that MMA IS actually a legitimate sport and not governed by emotions and dramatic effects like WWF. Come on fellas! How do I know more about this sport than you all do??? Can't beat the champ by hurting his thighs and giving him a bruise on his ribs. The only way to know for sure, unequivocally, that you won a fight is to FINISH IT. Knock'em out, and make darn sure it doesn't go to the judges. Especially in a title match! Otherwise, it's a likely chance the champ won't be dethroned (except in the match between Rampage Jackson and Forrest Griffin, but that's another story). On the flip side, it was also evident to me that Machida possibly didn't take Rua seriously, and his legs paid a heavy price for it; Muay Thai is definitely a formidable challenge for Karate. Nevertheless, the moral to this story is: never assume someone has won a fight if there wasn't a tap out, TKO or knock out. And never assume someone is landing a punch, wracking up points, just because they throw one. The end. Now on to the rematch. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment